Saturday, July 23, 2005

an uphill climb


artist performing on wall in brussels
Originally uploaded by dream awakener.



i think if i was climbing up this building in brussels, i would feel a bit of tension, much like i feel about life today when it comes to following jesus.

i am a person who appreciates culture, loves the city in which i live, enjoys a few nice things and loves to travel. but i am also no longer blind to the fact that i am part of an empire, the richest empire in the history of the world, and that i have been indoctrinated and inculturated quite well. so much so, that it has definetly been an uphill climb for me to live more simply so that others can simply live.

as i am studying through the book of mark, i find myself identifying very easily with the disciples and their lack of understanding. it so happens that this particular sunday, the passage that i am studying and preaching on fits my struggle in life, for the passage ends with jesus saying to his disciples, "Do you still not understand? Are your hearts hardened? Do you have eyes but fail to see, and ears but fail to hear? ... Do you still not understand?"

i am beginning to see reality as it is, and seeing the challenge that jesus has laid out for me, but there is great tension in the journey. i often want to say with the disciples "where can anyone get enough bread to feed them?" and when jesus responds, "you feed them" i think, but i only have a couple of pieces of bread and a few fish, how can i do it? then He reminds me that if i give him all that i have, he can bless it and give it back to me to redistribute to all in need, but it is an uphill climb for me.

as one african american proverb says, "it is easier to get the people out of egypt then to get the egypt out of the people."




2 Comments:

At 11:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just wanted to let you know that I appreciated your thoughts in this blog. I desire your sensitivity to the Spirit.
Tim

 
At 2:44 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hey JR great quote about Egypt and I too appreciate your words.

How did you go about redesigning your blog--it looks awesome, and I was wondering if you just studied up html or somebody helped you or what.

I've thought about an original blog template, but I don't know where to start. I had seen a few really sleek ones and knew it was possible, but you are the first person I know who has done this. Give a brotha the 411 if you please.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home