Monday, May 23, 2005

in my ipod


akon
Originally uploaded by dream awakener.

besides continuing to love ray charles' "genius loves company" and listening to a little old star wars, a friend of mine by the name of latifa turned me on to akon's debute album "trouble" before any songs were being played on the radio. i chose to put up this picture of akon instead of the album cover, because i think akon, in some of his songs, gives a fresh view of the world and has intersected with lessons that God has been teaching me.

the first song that i listened to from the album i ended up playing at church, it is my favorite on the album and is called "ghetto". my next favorites are "journey", "i won't" "pot of gold", "trouble nobody" and i have come to enjoy the song that has gotten the most airplay "lonely." while i have enjoyed most of the songs on the album, it seems like some of the songs degrade women or treat them more like a sex object than a person, which is sad, considering the richness of a number of the songs.

today i check out his website to find that akon is having "unprecedented global success both here ande abroad." along with "lonely" being #3 on U.S. Billboards, in the UK that single is #1 as well as the album. akon "has also landed upcoming sold out performances in several countries around the globe, including denmark, spain, germany, france and the uk. click here if you want to learn more.

there are a few songs that have explicit content, but you can get the clean version if you have an interest in the album.

1 Comments:

At 6:11 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for turning me on to this album. I've had it in rotation as well since departing LA. Deleted the tracks that were shady from my Ipod, and I enjoy the remainder. After taking a prison lit class last fall, I think I hear the songs a little differently than I might have in the past.

May the songs inspire you in living out a life of redemption.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home